See other positions
DevOps Engineer in AI Team
(f/m) - Zagreb, Croatia, Full-time
What do we do?
Photomath is a fast-growing EdTech company whose mobile app is the #1 app in the world to learn math. Powered by advanced machine learning technology, the app instantly scans, accurately solves, and intuitively explains printed and handwritten math problems to users through step-by-step explanations.
With over 220 million downloads globally and 5 million users daily, Photomath is the most popular mobile application from Croatia and one of the most popular educational apps of all times. Since its launch in 2014, our award-winning app has topped App Store & Google Play Store education charts and Apple has recently declared it the application of the day.
Today, we employ almost 100 people and have offices in Zagreb and Silicon Valley. We are a team of people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and skills, united by passion for technology and innovation. We believe that math is an increasingly crucial skill, particularly as problem-solving and quantitative analysis become prerequisites for many occupations.
As a DevOps engineer in our AI team, you will be responsible for the CI/CD process as well as some software development tasks. You are expected to understand connections and dependencies between production services, their strengths and weaknesses, as well as incorporate security in planning and design. Also, it is important to understand, estimate and optimize services’ execution speed, resource consumption (CPU, memory), running costs, cloud vs. onsite trade-offs etc. As our DevOps engineer you will closely collaborate with other developers, ML (machine learning) researchers and systems engineers. Monitoring of services, debugging and identification of problems, and constant improvements of the existing infrastructure will be your common tasks. We also expect you to teach us something new about modern DevOps practices every now and then. Development tasks (e.g. integration of our services into production environments) are not expected to be very big, although moving in that direction is an option.
We are constantly expanding what Photomath can do and the types and quality of our content - we have so much more ahead of us and we need your help to get there. Join us in our mission to revolutionize learning math and help students across the globe gain math superpowers!
Our dev stack:
- Kubernetes, Docker, Google Cloud Platform, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible, Kotlin, Java, Python, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, BigQuery, Redis, Elastic Search, C++.
What you will do at Photomath:
- Implementation and maintenance of web services and systems in the high-load environment
- Envisioning and development of new distributed platforms
- Infrastructure and services monitoring
- Continuous integration and deployment aiming for zero-downtime at all times
- Measuring system performance, estimating resources needed and ensuring infrastructure to achieve the performance and security needed in production environment
Our ideal candidate has:
- At least 5 years of relevant DevOps/SysAdmin experience
- Experience in administration of Linux operating systems
- Understanding of the network stack and protocols
- Good knowledge of relational databases
- Experience with containers (Docker) and orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of service discovery and configuration management
- Cloud deployment (e.g. AWS or Google Cloud) experience
- Scalable services and system design knowledge (Logging, Load balancing, Caching, Message Queues etc.)
- Understanding of Infrastructure as code (Terraform) principles
- Understanding of the CI/CD process, pipelines and tools
- Awareness of current trends and critical DevOps, Agile and security practices
- Experience with Bash/Python
- Willingness to learn and grow
- Teamwork skills
- Excellent English language skills
An additional plus is if you have:
- Good knowledge of no-SQL databases
- Experience in releasing Machine learning models to production (in the cloud)
- Experience with the Jenkins Scripted Pipeline (Groovy)
- Experience in Go
- Have worked with GPUs :D
- 22.000 - 28.000 kn gross, depending on candidate's experience
What we offer:
- An opportunity to work on innovative AI projects with global impact in a team of top AI engineers
- An opportunity to work on the deployment of cutting edge Machine Learning models
- An opportunity to define and implement our infrastructure at scale
- An opportunity to make an impact and define processes and way of working in the newly established fast growing team
- Flexible working hours and work from home arrangements
- Dedication to a healthy work-life balance and various benefits for parents
- A diverse environment with agile and talented individuals across the career spectrum - to teach and be taught
- A friendly, collaboration-heavy team atmosphere
- A culture that recognizes and rewards dedication and success
- Dedicated person (mentor/buddy) to help you navigate your first weeks in a new role
- Learning and growth opportunities through knowledge sharing, education and conferences, individual development plan with a dedicated budget, weekly time devoted to learning new things
- Cutting edge hardware and equipment, budget for additional equipment
- Company events and celebrations, company retreat, team budget for team building activities
- Birthday and holiday presents for employees and their kids
- Generous vacation and paid leave policy, sick leave without a doctor's note, annual physical exam (check-up)
- Multisport card for various discounts at sport facilities
- Underground bicycle parking garage
- Modern office design, great view :) and great location (Zagreb, Strojarska 20)
Interested in joining our team?